On April 15, 1946, the Royal North Sea Yacht Club was officially established. Since the club is part of the glorious maritime history of Ostend, this is celebrated extensively.
It all started at the "Klein Strand" in a small emergency house borrowed by the illustrious "Raymond Bauwens", under the impulse of a number of "die hards". Many wanted to quickly forget the horrors of the Second World War and found their thing in water sports. Georges Timmerman, who distinguished himself as a Naval Officer on “Juno Beach” in 1944, became the first Commodore (President of a Royal Yacht Club) and continued to expand the club with the support of the City Council.
In 1951 the current club building was inaugurated by Mayor Henri Serruys and numerous dignitaries. His Majesty King Baudouin became the first Honorary Commodore and that connection to the Royal Family still applies. The club became a household name and numerous national and international competitions were organized such as the prestigious “Tour de France à la Voile”. After more than 7 decades, the club is still the “waypoint” for sailors on the Belgian coast. They organize more than 30 competitions a year, for dinghies as well as cabin yachts, whether or not in collaboration with one of their maritime partner clubs.
With its 75th anniversary, the club wants to emphasize the assets of Ostend and its port. Sometimes a difficult exercise between economic interests and recreational opportunities. Nevertheless, the Royal North Sea Yacht Club continues to work on further expanding the maritime recreational and sporting opportunities in the port. Ostend is and remains the “Walhalla” of sailing sport on the coast, looking forward to our 100th anniversary!
The Ostend at Anchor team is proud to have been able to help organize this prestigious event. Thanks to Hubert Rubbens, our curator, who is also General Secretary and Vice-Commodore in charge of organizing the celebration and the Dragon Gold Cup.